As a plumber, you know how important it is to have a steady stream of customers. But the internet has drastically changed the way people search and hire plumbers. Gone are the days of flipping through the Yellow Pages. Now, search engines like Google and Bing are the first port of call for people who are looking for plumbing services.
So if you want to attract more customers to your business, you will need to invest in SEO.
What Is Plumber SEO?
Plumber SEO is the process of using search engine optimization best practices to improve your plumbing company’s online presence. Its main goal is to have your website appear on the first page of search engine results for your target keywords (more on this later).
The higher your website ranks in search results, the more potential customers your business will get.
Why Do Plumbers Need SEO?
According to Google’s Keyword Planner, there are over 800,000 searches for “plumbers near me” every month. Other specific plumbing services like “water heater repair” and emergency plumber near me” also get thousands of searches monthly. Without SEO, you will be missing out on so many opportunities to engage with potential customers.
Integrating SEO into your overall plumber digital marketing strategy may seem daunting, but there are quick and simple steps that you can take to nail down the SEO basics and get amazing results.
1. Create & Optimize Your Google Business Profile
With more than 83% search market share, Google remains to be the most popular search engine in the world, so ranking high on their search results is crucial. The first step to achieving this goal is to create and optimize your Google Business Profile. This free local listing allows your business to appear on Google Maps pack results for local queries such as “plumbers near me.”
You can follow Google’s step-by-step guide on how to create or claim your Business Profile. Once your profile is created, the next step is to optimize it. This means:
- Setting your business category.
- Setting your service areas.
- Adding the specific services you offer.
- Adding other basic information such as your phone number, address, opening hours, and website link.
- Add photos of your office/headquarters, staff, and completed plumbing.
We also recommend adding photos of your office, staff and completed plumbing projects. The more complete your profile looks, the better your ranking will be.
2. Request Reviews from Previous Customers
Reviews are an important ranking factor because they help build trust in your brand and showcase your experience. Here are a few techniques you can use to gather more reviews for your plumbing business:
- Contact previous customers and ask them to leave a review on your Google Business Profile, website, or social media page
- Create a unique review link through the Google Business Profile Manager and send it to existing customers.
- Add your review link to your website and email signature.
- Turn your review link into a QR code and print it on flyers, business cards, and other marketing collateral.
3. Conduct Plumber SEO Keyword Research
When it comes to plumbing services, keywords are essential. You need to determine what words and phrases your potential customers are using when they search for plumbing-related services in your area.
Once you have identified these keywords or phrases, you can use them strategically throughout your website content, helping customers find your services quickly and easily.
Here are tips to help your keyword research:
A. Use Google Search Console & Google Keyword Planner
- Both of these tools are free to use and can be extremely valuable in identifying the right keywords for your website. The Queries data found under Google Search Console’s Performance report shows you which keywords people use to find your web pages online.
- To access the Keyword Planner tool, you will need to sign up for a Google Ads account. You can enter a list of plumbing-related search terms into this tool and it will give you additional keywords you can use. it will also show you how much traffic those keywords generated.
B. Know how to use transactional-intent keywords
- These are keywords that include the name of a city/town or the term “near me” (e.g., “plumbing service near me” or “furnace repair Atlanta). People typically use these keywords when they intend to take action, so queries like this are often followed by a call or a visit to your website.
- Since these keywords get you leads fairly quickly, it’s a good idea to include them on your website homepage and on dedicated Service pages.
C. Know how to use informational-intent keywords
- Keywords such as “Why does my shower smell” are generally used by searchers who are trying to learn more about a specific subject. They are not exactly looking to hire plumbers right away.
- While these keywords don’t provide immediate sales or leads, they can be useful as topics for blogs or FAQs on your website. These types of content help build trust and strengthen your authority, which can ultimately boost your SEO ranking.
4. Create Service Pages & a Contact Us Page
Each plumbing service that you provide should have a dedicated page on your website. This will not only allow customers to learn more about your business but also help boost your ranking in local search results. When creating Service Pages, be sure to:
- Write clear descriptions to help visitors determine if the service is right for them.
- List the specific areas you serve.
- Highlight your unique selling points.
- Inspire confidence by showcasing your reviews and accreditations.
- Provide your contact details.
If you don’t already have one, create a Contact Us page for your website. This should have all your contact information, such as phone number, email address, and physical address. We also recommend adding an integrated map that shows your location and directions to your office.
5. Create Local City Service Pages
If you have multiple locations and service areas, it’s a good idea to create a separate webpage for each city you serve. Optimize these pages with content that features local sights, neighborhoods, and keywords (such as “drain clearing Atlanta” or “leak repair Atlanta”). We also recommend showcasing reviews from local customers and a map of the area.
If done well, Local City Pages can help expand your reach and ensure your website ranks high in local search results.
6. Work on Your Off-Page SEO
Another essential part of a successful local SEO strategy is off-page SEO. This refers to the SEO techniques that are applied outside your website to boost its ranking.
Popular off-page SEO tactics include link building and directory citations.
A. Start link building
Link building is the process of obtaining links from other websites that lead back to your site. In the SEO world, these links are called “backlinks” and are one of Google’s most important ranking factors.
The more high-quality backlinks your site has, the higher your ranking will be in search results.
There are a number of link building strategies you can use, including:
- Guest blogging – involves writing a blog post for other relevant websites. This will not only allow you to get a backlink but also help you improve brand exposure and build relationships.
- Becoming an expert source – involves signing up for online services like Help a Reporter Out (HARO), where you can become a source for bloggers and journalists. By using these kinds of services, you can showcase your expertise as a plumber and get high-quality backlinks.
- Link reclamation – involves conducting a backlink audit to identify, fix, and replace broken or lost links with updated URLs.
B. Get listed in directories (also called NAP Citations)
Business directories like Yelp, BBB, and Home Advisor will list your business name, address, and phone number. These listings are called NAP citations and are crucial for improving your local SEO. When applying for directory listings, make sure your NAP details are consistent with those listed on your website and Google Business Profile.
7. Improve Your On-Page SEO
One-page SEO is about making strategic improvements to your website so it ranks higher in search results and gains more relevant traffic. Here’s how you can quickly and successfully improve your site’s on-page SEO:
A. Write compelling title tags and meta descriptions
Both title tags and meta descriptions appear in search results, so it’s crucial to ensure they are properly optimized.
For the title tag, all you really need is your business name and your main service:
- example: Expert Plumbing Services | [Business Name]
For location pages, you can add the name of the city next to the service:
- example: Emergency Plumbing in Atlanta | [Business Name]
As for meta descriptions, make sure they are informative and compelling. Provide only the necessary details about your service and business. Also, keep them short (about 100-150 characters) so Google does not truncate them.
B. Create SEO-friendly URLs
Instead of super long website URLs, opt for short and descriptive URLs that contain your target keywords. Below is a good example from one of our clients:
Short and descriptive URLs help people understand what your webpage is about before they click on it. This will also help search engines better index your pages and thus contribute to improved rankings.
C. Create mobile-friendly pages
The mobile responsiveness of your website can do wonders for your overall SEO performance. After all, most local searches for businesses these days are conducted using smartphones.
Making your website more mobile-friendly can be as simple as switching to an updated web design.
You can also make the following adjustments to ensure your site runs smoothly on mobile devices:
- Avoid adding large videos to a page.
- Compress all images.
- Keep your content short and simple.
- Add click-to-call buttons in key areas.
D. Optimize your content
Creating informative, original, and engaging content will make your website more rank-worthy. Provide simple, easy-to-understand descriptions of your services and highlight how they can help your customers.
Avoid stuffing your content with too many keywords. Instead, use them strategically throughout each webpage to make your content look more natural.
Also, use a good mix of blogs, videos, FAQs, and seasonal plumbing tips to answer questions your customers might have about your services or plumbing in general.
8. Start Tracking SEO Results
Carve out some time to monitor and measure the results of your SEO efforts. Google Analytics and Google Search Console allow you to assess your website’s performance.
You can check out metrics such as organic traffic, keyword performance, and conversion rate.
You can also track the performance of your Google Business Profile. All you need to do is log into the profile and click on “See profile performance.”
Analyze these metrics and identify which strategies worked and which need to be improved. This way, you can continue increasing your rankings and getting better results for your plumbing business.
By following these SEO tips, you can leverage the power of search engines to showcase your business and attract more potential customers. If you need help building an SEO strategy for your plumbing business, give us a call! Hughes
Need Help Boosting Your Plumbing SEO?
Find out how Hughes Media’s team of digital marketing experts can help you develop a winning SEO strategy that will get your plumbing business at the top of search results! Call us at (404) 848-0487 or fill out our online contact form.
About the Author:
Experienced President with a demonstrated history of working in the marketing and advertising industry. Skilled in Digital Strategy, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Integrated Marketing, Advertising, and Pay Per Click (PPC). Strong business development professional with a Bachelor’s Degree focused in Communications from Ohio University.